Potential of Fukuoka and Kyushu
01. Size of the Kyushu Economy
As a rule, FRC limits its investment target area to Fukuoka and Kyushu. When compared with other countries in terms of GDP, Kyushu is a major economic zone with a GDP comparable to Norway, which is ranked 29th in the world.
- "Current Situation of Kyushu's Economy April 2021." by Kyushu Bureau of Economy, Trade and Industry
02. Fukuoka, a City Close to Asia
Fukuoka is said to be an Asian gateway that is closer to Shanghai than Tokyo and closer to Busan than Osaka.
In particular, the number of overseas visitors to Fukuoka City reached a record high for seven consecutive years since 2011 (according to the publicized materials as of 2020).
- Prepared by Fukuoka Realty Co., Ltd. based on data from Statistics on Legal Migrants (Ministry of Justice)
- The number was 674,000 people (including preliminary figures) as of the 32nd fiscal period. However, the final figure is 671,000 people.
03. Transportation Infrastructure in Fukuoka and Kyushu
This section explains the transportation infrastructure in Fukuoka and Kyushu.
Transportation Networks in Kyushu
The Kyushu Shinkansen (bullet train) runs from north to south through Kyushu, and major expressways spread from east to west and from north to south.
Fukuoka Airport is in close proximity to the central city area and is known as "one of the most convenient airports in the world" with favorable access. The Fukuoka City Subway is available from the airport, connecting to Hakata Station approximately 5 minutes from Fukuoka Airport Station. An expanded runway with a total length of 2,500 meters is scheduled to be completed in FY 2024.
- Prepared by Fukuoka Realty Co., Ltd. based on Kyushu Economic Research Center data
Fukuoka's waterfront district (Chuo Wharf and Hakata Wharf) is undergoing redevelopment led by Fukuoka City. As the number of cruise ships from Asia and MICE-sponsored events have recently increased, the Fukuoka waterfront district is set to become a top-class exchange hub in Japan for inbound and outbound visitors.
Three suitable logistics districts in northern Kyushu are indicated below.
1. Fukuoka IC area connecting Kyushu Expressway and Fukuoka Urban Expressway
2. Hakata Port area including a port development zone in Island City
3. Tosu JCT area located at the crossing of Kyushu Expressway, Nagasaki Expressway and Oita Expressway
04. Fukuoka Draws People from Inside and Outside Japan
Population Continues to Grow in Fukuoka City
While the estimated population will shift to a downward trend in other cities, the population of Fukuoka City is anticipated to continue growing through around 2035, according to the city's calculations. We believe that, with such a population increase, sales of retail facilities may increase and demand for residential properties may remain solid.
- Graph is formed after setting the population of respective metropolitan areas in 1985 as 100.
- The Fukuoka metropolitan area urban area comprises Fukuoka City, Chikushino City, Kasuga City, Onojo City, Dazaifu City, Nakagawa-machi, Koga City, Umi-machi, Sasaguri-machi, Shime-machi, Sue-machi, Shingu-machi, Hisayama-machi, Kasuya-machi, Munakata City, Fukutsu City and Itoshima City. The Tokyo metropolitan area comprises Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba. The Nagoya metropolitan area comprises Aichi, Gifu and Mie. The Osaka metropolitan area comprises Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo and Nara.
- Changes of Fukuoka City Looked at by Data by the General Affairs & Planning Bureau. Fukuoka City Government ( March 2012 ) and National Census by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.
- Prepared by Fukuoka Realty based on data from “2010 Population Census of Japan”(Statistics Bureau. Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications) and “2015
Population Census of Japan”Preliminary Counts of the Population and Households”(Statistics Bureau. Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications)
High Ratio of Working-Age Population
The ratios of youth population and working-age population of Fukuoka City are higher than those of the country as a whole. The large working population should lead to the creation of demand for office buildings and residential properties.
05. Guide to Fukuoka (List of Links)
Websites to Present the Charms of Fukuoka City
- ■Fukuoka Facts | Data about the Best of Fukuoka
- ■FUKUOKA SHOWCASE (Fukuoka City Government)
- ■Fukuoka/Hakata Tourist Information Site (Yokanavi) (Fukuoka City)
- ■Hakata Culture (Fukuoka City)
Urban Studies of Fukuoka
- ■Fukuoka Asian Urban Research Center
- ■Fukuoka Directive Council
Websites about Fukuoka for Foreigners
- ■FUKUOKA NOW